80 Conover Rd.
Marlboro, NJ 07742
800-705-HOPE (4673)

Get Your GED Training Through New Hope Integrated Behavioral Health Care

It's easy. Just sign up, sign in
and pay online.
GED Testing

What are the high school equivalency tests?

There are three high school equivalency tests approved by the United States Department of Education and the NJ State Board of Education. They are the GED, HiSET and TASC. All three are aligned to federal Career and College Readiness Standards and designed to measure skills and concepts associated with four years of regular high school instruction. Each test is developed by adult and secondary educators and subject matter specialists. Each of the tests corresponds to the general framework of most high school curricula: writing skills, social studies, science, interpreting literature and the arts, and mathematics.
Who Can Get a GED?

Who is eligible for the tests?

The tests are intended primarily for persons who, for any number of reasons, have missed their first opportunity to complete a high school program of instruction. The tests can be administered only to persons who are at least 16 years old; have not graduated from an accredited high school or received a high school equivalency certificate or diploma; and are not currently enrolled in a traditional high school. You must be a New Jersey resident. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must complete a Certificate of Consent to Participate, verifying that you are not enrolled in school, and the parent or legal guardian must bring it in person to the test center or have the consent form notarized by a New Jersey notary before a test will be administered.

How do I sign up for the high school equivalency tests?

Tests may be taken only at testing centers that have been approved by the New Jersey Department of Education. Special accommodations are available for qualified persons. You must contact the testing center where you wish to take the test to find out the testing schedule and how to register for the test. The testing centers are listed by county and can be accessed at GED Testing Centers.